This soup was born out of being hungry and finding a can of whole tomatoes in the cupboard. I could make up a better story but that’s really it.
Tomato Soup for 2 (double for more people or if freezing some for later)
1 can of whole tomatoes (we get the .89 cent Walmart ones)
1 onion, sliced in half
1 tbs of butter (real, fake, vegan, not vegan, cook’s choice)
1 tsp of dried basil or 5 real basil leaves chopped up
2 small carrots, diced
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dump everything into pot.
- Stovetop Method: Bring to boil, simmer for 1 hour with the lid on, stirring and squashing the whole tomatoes every so often. If it’s too watery, remove the lid halfway through but keep an eye on it.
- Slow Cooker Method: Heat on high for 2-3hrs, squash tomatoes after.
- If using an immersion blender: Blend soup until it’s as chunky or smooth as you like it.
- If using a regular blender: Blend in batches being careful not fill the blender more than halfway due to hot soup having a tendency to explode in blenders.
- Serve with toasted bread.